Saturday, January 30, 2010

nyc: day22.

day twenty-two – the last of this adventure. i chose to spend it alone, and i wouldn’tve had it any other way.

i slept in this morning – by accident, actually – although it felt wonderful. kim stopped by early in the afternoon to pick us up for lunch. the group had decided to eat at the same cubin place we visited the other day. i had already eaten (avocado on wheat thins), so i walked with them to the restaurant and then parted ways.

i’m sure it’s no surprise that i was headed for times square. it’s my favorite place in the city, so naturally i wanted to spend my last day there. i love watching the people rush by and seeing the signs on all of the theaters. i love that i am in such close proximity to such passionate people and their work, and i love that i can see the street sign that says broadway. i am actually – finally – here.

i set up camp in my favorite spot in my favorite starbucks with my favorite drink (venti 6-pump chai) and went to work on my writing. it was so cold outside, but my heart was warm and happy, and i was willing myself not to think of this being the last time – for a long time – that i would be there.

around six, i hurried over to the theater housing rock of ages and dropped my name in the lottery. i was feeling lucky, so i decided to chance it. in the end, i’m glad i did, as i got the very last ticket of the lottery. super stoked, i ducked back into starbucks to wait for the show. i ordered one more tea, coincidentally ending up right beside laura linney, who happened to be in line as well. star-struck for only a moment, i was pleased to learn that she also drinks a venti chai. we chatted for a minute, and i wished her luck in her performance for tonight. no big deal.

(except for it is a big deal.)

anyway, while i waited for the show, i had the most wonderful conversation with my sister – i miss her terribly, and i cannot wait to see her when i get home.

shortly before eight o’clock, armed with my usual peanut mm’s (thanks kim), i walked across the street to the theater. at the door, i was handed not only a program but a small flashlight resembling a cigarette lighter – i had a sense that this was going to be quite the experience.

i was certainly right, but i thoroughly enjoyed every minute of the show. it was so different than anything i had seen thus far, and i didn’t mind a bit. the music was great – not to mention impressively performed – and i even found myself waving my lighter in the air with the rest of the audience.

oh gosh.

after the show, i strolled over to a restaurant called juniors. they are famous for their cheesecake, and i had been waiting until this very night to check it out. i walked in, asked for a table for one, and immediately ordered a piece of the sugar-free cheesecake and a glass of water. i’m sure my waiter, tom, thought i was completely mental, but to be honest, i couldn’t have been enjoying myself any more. i delighted in each bite of my cheesecake, soaking in as much of the city as i could from inside the busy eatery. upon the arrival of a text from jordan (he had seen a show as well, and we had planned on riding back together), i paid my tab, thanked tom, and sidled back onto the street.

i took my time walking to the subway station, even though it was only a few blocks away. i was savoring each step in the same way i had savored my dessert. when i finally reached the subway station, i took a moment to turn around and gaze at the city one last time. the scene brought tears to my eyes, tears that lingered long after i had boarded the subway.

this place has not only changed my life for good, but inspired me in a way i didn’t think was possible. my heart aches at the thought of leaving tomorrow, even though i know i will be here again.

i have fallen in love with the world in you, new york – i can only hope you feel the same. promise you won’t forget me.

i know i’ll never forget you.

No comments:

Post a Comment