Thursday, January 28, 2010

nyc: day19.

today began too soon for me – too quickly.  i felt like i was forever trying to catch up – like the city was flying past me and i was stuck in place.  it was an off day, and i hate that.

i wish i knew why.

anyway, as soon as we were ready, jordan and i took off for times square.  we got there around eleven-thirty, and hurried to the theater housing a view from the bridge.  kim asked us to pick up a ticket for her, and luckily there were a few left.

our next stop was the time stands still box office.  we were lucky there also, and $27 dollars later, walked away with a pair of student rush tickets.

we boarded the subway again, this time for union square.  i had a couple of clothing returns to take care of, and there was a dress at forever21 that i had promised myself before going home.  after evaluating my previous purchases and the amount left in my bank account, i decided to compromise.  i could buy the dress (it was only $25), but at the expense of a few other things.  since i laid eyes on it two weeks ago, i hadn’t been able to push the dress from my mind – it was certainly worth a few returns, and i was determined to have it.

the first return was a cute little top from a place called felini’s basement.  unfortunately, there was only one woman working the customer service counter, so that return process took what seemed like forever – maybe because there was a woman in front of us that was attempting to return over $400 worth of merchandise, or maybe because the woman working couldn’t have cared less about her job, let alone the meaning of her title.

it could only get better from there.

our next stop was a store right next door called strawberry.  i had purchased a bright yellow plaid shirt for only $7.  i loved it, but that affection was nothing compared to what i felt for this infamous dress.  unfortunately, strawberry doesn’t offer returns on sale items. 

“oh, ok.. thanks anyway.”

great.

forever21 was the third stop, and i entered the store with high hopes.  those were dashed quickly, as my dress was nowhere to be found – absolutely nowhere.  i searched the entire store, my shoulders slumping more and more with each passing minute.  i was kicking myself for not buying the dress weeks ago when i’d first seen it. 

“it has to be here,” i thought.

nope.  sure wasn’t.  dumb.

extremely disappointed, i reluctantly gave up the search and left the store.  even a joke from jordan couldn’t cheer me up.

our final stop was a shop on canal street where i needed to exchange two pairs of leggings i got about ten days ago.  for some unapparent reason, it was very dim back by the legging rack, therefore causing me to purchase dark brown leggings instead of the black ones i had intended.

in my defense, they were really really dark brown.

this endeavor was yet another “bust” – apparently the leggings were also on sale and thus not available for exchange or return.  even after my pathetic pleading – “please sir, couldn’t i just put these back on the rack and grab a couple of black ones? i just got confused!” – the stone cold, broken-english-speaking man at the counter refused.

seriously?

feeling absolutely terrible, jordan and i boarded yet another subway – this time to 93th street for our last sandwich duty.  i’m sure it’s no surprise that my heart wasn’t really in it today – however selfish that may be.  all i wanted was a gallon of steaming hot chai and a long long nap.

making it back to the apartment at last was a definitely a relief, and i wasted no time in steaming myself some spinach and tucking myself into bed.  jordan woke me at six, i threw my rumpled hair into a ponytail, and the two of us made our way over to kim’s.  still chilled to the bone from earlier, i gave in to my chai craving, treating myself to a tall-with-an-extra-pump. 

mmmm. back to my old self again.

the three of us headed up to broadway together, chatted briefly and then parted ways.  jordan and i took our seats in the mezzanine, peanut mm’s in hand (courtesy of kim).

i absolutely loved the show.  it was my first broadway straight show, and i’ll be honest, i didn’t miss the music tonight.  laura linney was fantastic and alicia silverstone gave an impressive performance as well.  i loved the plot, its surprises, and the way it challenged me.  the sound design was genius and the transitions flawless – a super super show.

following the production, jordan and i were able to get autographs from all four actors, definitely making up for my lousy day. each was so friendly and genuine – it was such a pleasure to meet them.

i am back at the apartment now, and my eyes are drooping as i close this entry.  the prospect of a new day excites and delights me.  until then, my friends.

 

p.s. thanks for sticking with me today, jordan.  i love and so cherish you.

No comments:

Post a Comment